Le contenu

Applying for a post-graduation work permit

As an international student, you may apply for a work permit after you finish your studies. This process is simple and straightforward. Here are the things to keep in mind.

Are you eligible?

To receive a post-graduation work permit, you must have been studying full-time in Canada on a continuous basis.

How to qualify


Before applying for your permit

Do you need to provide your biometrics?

Biometrics are valid for 10 years. Use this tool to find out if yours are still valid.


You can apply online from within Canada, from abroad or at the US border.

Apply online from within Canada

There is a fee for this service: List of fees

Read the instruction guide

Step 1: Log in or create your MyCIC account by clicking on “Continue to Sign-In Partner” or “Continue to GCKey.”
Forgot your sign-in details? Create a new account by using one of these two ways to sign in.

Step 2: Click on “Apply to come to Canada”.

Step 3: The system will take you through a series of questions.

The form that students complete to request this type of document should look like the one below.

Que souhaiteriez-vous faire au Canada?

Que souhaiteriez-vous faire au Canada?

You should end up with the below result.

Permis de travail postdiplôme - au Canada

Permis de travail postdiplôme - au Canada

Step 4: At the end of the questionnaire, you will need to upload the required documents. The designated learning institution number for HEC Montréal is O19359011058. You do not have to sign the IMM5710 form.


Applying from outside Canada

To apply


Applying at the border

Since June 21,2024, you can no longer apply for a PGWP at a port of entry (airport or land border). In other words, flagpoling at the United states border is no longer allowed. 

After you receive your permit

This online summary, dated February 27, 2019, holds no official standing. Changes may occur without notice. Quebec laws and regulations, as well as information emanating from the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, take precedence over this document.

Students > International students > Working in Canada > Applying for a post-graduation work permit