Le contenu

Applying for a work permit for a graduate student’s spouse

Spouses or common-law partners of international graduate students may apply for open work permits.


Graduates must hold a position that corresponds to NOC skill type 0 and skill level A or B and provide proof.

All documents should be included with the application.

How to proceed

OPTION 1: Graduates may make a request for a post-graduation work permit for themselves as well as for their spouses.

OPTION 2: In case the graduates can prove their qualifications, their spouses may apply for the permit independently.


Does your spouse need to provide biometrics?

Your spouse must provide their biometrics (fingerprints and photo) for all new applications submitted within Canada.

If they already provided their biometrics along with your study or work permit application, this data is valid for 10 years.

If they have never provided them before, they must do so when renewing or changing their status in Canada.

Important tips

Submit the application online from within Canada.

Save time by paying the fees for biometrics when you pay the application fees.

You will then receive a letter with instructions. At this point, you will need to make an appointment at a Service Canada centre so that your biometrics can be taken. The office closest to HEC Montréal is located at 540 Avenue Beaumont.

See the guide How to give your fingerprints and photo.


For more information

Consult the following pages on the Government of Canada website:

Students > International students > Working in Canada > Applying for a work permit for a graduate student’s spouse