Le contenu

Applying for a work co-op permit (internship or project)

Check if your internship or business project requires a work co-op permit. If so, make sure you have it in hand before starting work.

Do you need a permit?

As an international student, you will need to apply for a work co-op permit if you hope to participate in any of the following co-ops in the specified levels:

  • For-credit internship (BBA, certificate or Specialized Graduate Diploma);
  • Intervention project (D.E.S.S. en gestion – chaîne logistique);
  • Supervised project (MSc);
  • Integrative project (Master’s);
  • Consulting project (MBA).

We recommend applying for a permit even if the internship:

  • is for less than 20 hours a week;
  • will take place during Summer term.

With this permit, you can gain some work experience (3 months max.) if you choose to live in Quebec as a permanent resident after graduating from your program. 

You do not need an internship permit if the internship is not part of your studies (non-credit internship). However, you must adhere to the rules for working off campus, specifically:

  • Work no more than 20 per week during regular school terms.
  • You are only allowed to work full time during the school breaks listed on the academic calendar.

"Employed" by HEC Montréal

Even though your permit states that HEC Montréal is your employer, it does not mean you are limited to working on campus. It implies that the permit holder may access for-credit activities.


When should you apply?

For a compulsory project

It is recommended that you start applying for the work co-op permit prior to landing in Canada and at the same time you apply for your study permit. Your admission letter will need to mention your expected project.

For a non-compulsory, for-credit internship


Applying from Canada

There is no cost for the application.

Read the instruction guide

During the application process, you will be asked for a designated learning institution number for HEC Montréal. This number is O19359011058.

Step 1: Log in or create your MyCIC account by clicking on “Continue to Sign-In Partner” or “Continue to GCKey.”
Forgot your sign-in details? You can create a new account by using one of these two ways to sign in.

Step 2: Click on “Apply to come to Canada”.

Step 3: The system will take you through a series of questions.

The form that students complete to request this type of document should look like the one below.

Que souhaiteriez-vous faire au Canada?

Que souhaiteriez-vous faire au Canada?

You should end up with the below result.

Coop (au Canada)

 Coop (au Canada)

Step 4: Once you get to the end of the questionnaire, upload the required documents. You do not have to sign the IMM5710 form.


Need help?

Visit the Work as a co-op student or intern page.

For research internships or projects

Visit Career Management Services

Have any questions about work co-op permits?

Contact Zone Info


This online summary, dated February 27, 2019, holds no official standing. Changes may occur without notice. Quebec laws and regulations, as well as information emanating from the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, take precedence over this document.

Students > International students > Working in Canada > Applying for a work co-op permit (internship or project)