Le contenu

Extending your study permit

Do you need to extend your study permit? Take the following steps as soon as possible:


See the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada site for more information on how to apply for an extension of your permit.

Please note that you do not need to provide a provincial attestation letter. You must provide the following information in your application:

PAL not required

Remember to also renew the immigration documents for your family (partner and children).

Have a valid CAQ

Ensure that your Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) covers the extended period of your intended stay. Renew it well in advance, so that you can apply for an extension of your study permit before the current one expires. 

Do you need to provide your biometrics?

Biometric data is valid for 10 years. Use the tool to find out if your biometric data is still valid.

Apply online from Canada

See fees and processing times

An application for extension in the case of an unchanged study program requires the submission of attestation of credits accumulated and in progress, not an admission letter.

Step 1: Log in or create your MyCIC account by clicking “Continue to Sign-In Partner” or “Continue to GCKey.”
Forgot your sign-in details? You can create a new account by using one of these two ways to sign in.

Step 2: Click on “Apply to come to Canada”.

Step 3: The system will take you through a series of questions.

The form that students complete to request this type of document should look like the one below, even if they need less than 6 months to complete their study program.



Step 4: Once you get to the end of the questionnaire, upload the required documents. You will be asked for a designated learning institution number for HEC Montréal. This number is O19359011058. You do not have to sign the IMM5709 form.

Step 5: Within 24 hours you will receive a confirmation of your request in the “My messages” section of your MyCIC account.
Provide the Registrar’s Office with this confirmation, either by uploading a copy to HEC en ligne or bringing it to the Zone Info.


Upon receipt of your permit

  • Your study permit will be sent to you by mail. Send it to the Registrar’s Office: upload a copy to HEC en ligne or deliver it in person to Zone Info.
  • Students who require a temporary resident visa (TRV) to enter Canada can then renew this document.

This online summary, dated February 27, 2019, holds no official standing. Changes may occur without notice. Quebec laws and regulations, as well as information emanating from the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, take precedence over this document.

Students > International students > Extending your stay in Canada > Extending your study permit