Steps required to renew your Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ).
Apply for your CAQ sufficiently in advance. That way, you can apply for an extension of your study permit before the current one expires.
This is mandatory to maintain your right to study legally in Canada.
Your study permit expires before your CAQ renewal is confirmed? Write to us!
See processing times
Be sure to indicate
- Your academic level (undergraduate, graduate, doctoral);
- Start and end dates for your program.
- The start date is the date of application.
- The end date is the final day of the session in which you will earn your degree plus 3 months. You can find this date in the academic calendar.
Once you complete your online application
- After you have completed your application and paid the fee, you will receive a checklist in your online file. Read it carefully.
- Gather the necessary documents. Be sure to get the official documents from the School: transcripts and Proof of Credits Completed/in Progress Letter available in your HEC en ligne.
- Remember to sign by hand in blue ink the declaration, commitments and authorizations form.
You must submit these support documents.
Need help? Watch the videos (in French only)
Are you a master’s student in the thesis stream? Include a letter from your thesis supervisor, indicating the tentative date on which you will submit your thesis.
You studied part-time, or took an authorized break, during the period covered by your last CAQ?
You will need to add the following:
- A letter explaining why your studies were not your primary focus.
- Documentation, such as a plane ticket, internship contract or doctor’s note, to support this.
If you were in Quebec during this break, include proof that you were eligible for medical and hospital insurance.
If your application is approved
A letter confirming issuing of your CAQ will be made available in your file. You can use it to apply for a study permit.
- Check the document to ensure that all your information is correct (first and last name, date of birth, program dates, etc.).
- Upload a copy to HEC en ligne or deliver it in person to Zone Info.
- Keep the certificate in a safe place.
If your application is denied
You will see “intent to refuse” in your file on the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration (MIFI) website. You will have 30 days to provide the requested documents.
For advice, contact Zone Info.
This online summary, dated February 27, 2019, holds no official standing. Changes may occur without notice. Quebec laws and regulations, as well as information emanating from the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, take precedence over this document.