PhD in administration - Data Science
PhD in Administration — Data Science
Are you planning on a career in academia or business in the field of data science? Join a community of professors and researchers with valuable, recognized expertise.
Your PhD in short
- Offered by HEC Montréal jointly with Concordia and McGill universities and the Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM). This partnership gives you access to resources (faculty and courses) rarely available elsewhere in the world.
- Full-time program allowing you to complete your studies in four or five years.
- Tuition fees waived and competitive funding for the first four years of your studies.
For a fascinating career
“Whereas many PhD programs aim exclusively at academic careers, HEC’s approach satisfies both academic interests and professional education.”
“The PhD program allowed me to build solid knowledge of data science methods that enables me to solve complex problems with rigor and success, and also to contribute to innovation in the industry.”
“The teaching and support I received during my PhD studies at HEC Montréal were of such high quality that I couldn’t help but succeed.”
Among the best
The professors associated with this doctoral specialization have authored over 400 scientific papers in the top journals, including:
- Journal of the American Statistical Association
- Statistical Methods in Medical Research
Be part of research innovations
Many of the professors in this specialization are members of MILA, Montréal’s world-renowned centre for artificial intelligence research.
Varied research interests
- Artificial intelligence
- Bayesian statistics
- Big data mining
- Data mining
- Deep learning
- Machine learning
- Non-parametric methods
- Recommendation systems
- Analytics of urban environments
- Network analysis
- Traffic safety
- User experience (UX)
Our PhD students and candidates
An exceptional research milieu
The eleven professors mainly associated with the doctoral specialization in Data Science have substantial research funds at their disposal to assist students.
Eight of them hold chairs or professorships:
- FRQ-IVADO Chair in Data Science: Professor Aurélie Labbe
- Canada CIFAR Chair in Artificial Intelligence: Professor Laurent Charlin
- Canada CIFAR Chair in Artificial Intelligence: Professor Jian Tang
- Research Professorship in Complex Networks: Professor Gilles Caporossi
- Research Professorship in Data Science: Professor Denis Larocque
- Research Professorship in Statistics: Professor Debbie J. Dupuis
- Professorship in Pedagogical Innovation in Active Learning of Statistics in Management: Professor Chantal Labbé
- Professorship in Pedagogical Innovation in the Gamification of Learning for Data Science: professor Jean-François Plante
Marc Fredette is principal collaborator at the NSERC-Prompt Industrial Research Chair in User Experience.
Researchers in this specialization work closely with several research groups and knowledge transfer hubs, including:
- Interuniversity Research Centre on Enterprise Networks, Logistics and Transportation (CIRRELT)
- Centre de recherches mathématiques (CRM) (Mathematics research centre)
- Group for Research in Decision Analysis (GERAD)
- Montreal Institute for Learning Algorithms (MILA)
In addition, HEC Montréal is an institutional member of the Canadian Statistical Sciences Institute (CANSSI).
- Full time
- Part time
- 100% distance
Future students, follow us
Share this page