Le contenu

Working off campus

Most international students are permitted to work off campus. See eligibility and conditions for participation.

If you are eligible

Apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

You can work

  • up to 20 hours per week during regular school terms, once you’ve begun classes;
  • full-time during scheduled breaks in the school year, irrespective of the course load.

Special cases

Students studying part-time

Part-time international students are not permitted to work unless they are in the final semester of their program. In that case, you may work up to 20 hours per week off campus.

You will also not be able to work during a holiday listed in the university calendar following the part-time session (for example, if you are studying part-time during the fall term, you will not be able to work during the holiday season).


Working both on and off campus

You may work both on campus and off campus, as long as you meet the requirements for both government programs.

The time between finishing your studies and receiving a post-graduation work permit

If you have met all the requirements of your program but haven’t yet received your proof of graduation letter, you can work off campus on a part-time basis.

Once you receive your attestation, you will no longer be permitted to work in Canada — unless you have applied for a post-graduation work permit. In the latter case, you will be eligible to work full-time while you wait for your work permit to arrive, even if your study permit has expired (implied status).

This online summary, dated February 27, 2019, holds no official standing. Changes may occur without notice. Quebec laws and regulations, as well as information emanating from the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, take precedence over this document.

Students > International students > Working in Canada > Working off campus