Master of science (MSc) – Financial Engineering
Master of Science (MSc) – Financial Engineering
Are you ready to make the most of your passion for mathematics, programming and finance, and build yourself a fascinating career? Financial engineering will give you the means to analyze, evaluate and develop tools for dealing with today’s financial challenges.
- Learn how to combine mathematical and computational techniques with financial knowledge to solve financial problems
- Develop the ability to interpret and communicate analysis results to guide decisions in areas like risk management and portfolio management
- Now possible to learn about data science and artificial intelligence: textual data, high-frequency data, statistical learning and filtering unobservable variables
- Learn different programming languages
- Professors renowned in Canada and abroad, in both the academic and business communities
- French language courses and the Experience Quebec course can help international students integrate into the Quebec and Canadian job markets. This pathway is offered to most students who choose the supervised project stream.
Research chairs, centres and groups
- Canada Research Chair in Decision Making Under Uncertainty
- Canada Research Chair in Risk Management
- Centre de recherches mathématiques (CRM)
- Data Mining Chair
- DGIA–HEC Alternative Investments Research Group
- Group for Research in Decision Analysis (GERAD)
HEC Montréal is also a partner of the Canadian Derivatives Institute (CDI).
Putting academic theory into practice
The National Bank Financial trading room at HEC Montréal, supplied with real-time financial data and linked to the Bloomberg and Reuters information and analysis services, is like an actual trading room at a major financial institution.
The Computing and Data Mining Laboratory gives you access to databases in economics, finance, marketing and other management fields and to specialized software for processing such data and performing scientific simulations and calculations.
A step toward your future career
Organizations trust the expertise students gain in this master’s program. Several recent supervised projects are a testament to this.
- Asset management in specific environments such as insurance companies, pension funds or investment funds
- Evaluation and coverage of derivatives
- Measuring and managing credit risk and counterparty risk
- Using learning methods and artificial intelligence for market forecasting
QTEM Masters Program: Join a world-class network!
Are you looking to develop skills in analytical and quantitative techniques to support decision-making in an international context? Spend a term at one of the institutions in the prestigious QTEM network and earn your QTEM certification in quantitative technology in economics and management.
Your career outlook
Positions held by program graduates:
- Associate Director – C++ Developer
- Associate – Risk Management
- Manager – Investment Funds
- Principal Analyst – Risk, Portfolio and Modeling
- Senior Advisor – Financial Engineering
- Senior Analyst – Investment Risk