Le contenu

Applying for permanent residence

Are you looking to settle in Quebec after your studies? You will have to apply for permanent residence.

Application process

In order to work in Canada while you wait for permanent residence

Request a post-graduation work permit


Frequently asked questions

I just graduated but I am pursuing further studies. Can I apply for permanent residence?

No, you can’t. In order to start the process, you must have completed your studies.


How can I attain the recommended level of French needed to be eligible for the Programme de l’expérience québécoise (PEQ)?

You must demonstrate minimum proficiency in spoken French, which corresponds to a level 7 on the Échelle québécoise des niveaux de compétences (PDF).

Where can I take courses?

How much can I expect to pay for the entire permanent residence process?

Approximately $2,000 to $2,500.


Can I apply for permanent residence and a post-graduation work permit at the same time?

Yes, you can. Both processes are completely separate from one another. Find out more about the post-graduation work permit.


Does the Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ) replace the Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ)?

No, it does not. International students must hold a valid CAQ throughout their studies. This document attests to the student’s status, whereas the CSQ represents the first step towards obtaining permanent residence.


Does the CSQ give me the right to stay in Canada?

No, the CSQ does not offer any status in Canada. To legally remain in Canada, you must have a valid status of student or worker (through a post-graduation work permit). 


Do I need to have my bachelor’s degree by accumulating certificates or my B. Gest. in order to apply for permanent residence?

Yes, you do. If you find a job while waiting, you will have to apply for a post-graduation work permit, using your three attestations of studies completed. You will then receive a permit that allows you to work for up to three years.


Will I need to hire a lawyer or immigration specialist?

It is not necessary to hire a lawyer or immigration consultant to represent you on this case. If you do end up hiring one, make sure they are officially recognized.

Planning your future in Quebec

  • There are several tools to help you with the immigration process. You can find them on the I choose Montréal website.
  • The online integration service will walk you through the initial steps of settling in Quebec, and understanding the province’s employment landscape.

Students > International students > Extending your stay in Canada > Applying for permanent residence