Master of science (MSc) – Applied Financial Economics
Master of Science(MSc) – Applied Financial Economics
Are you seeking a challenging career in microeconomics? Would you like to learn all about using econometric methods in finance? Take a look at this specialization at the crossroads of finance and economics.
- Theory and empirical models used in finance, which often take root in economics.
- Acquisition of skills to facilitate decision-making in different types of organizations: analysis and micro and macroeconomic modeling; portfolio analysis and asset valuation.
- Advanced knowledge in the use of statistical, econometric and machine learning methods for carrying out business analyses and forecasting.
- Personalized mentoring from professors renowned in Canada and abroad
- French language courses and the Experience Quebec course can help international students integrate into the Quebec and Canadian job markets. This pathway is offered to most students who choose the supervised project stream.
Research chairs, centres and groups
- Centre for Research on E-finance
- Centre for Productivity and Prosperity
- Institut du Québec
- Group for Research in Economics and Finance Research (GReFi)
- Centre for Interuniversity Research and Analysis on Organizations (CIRANO)
Putting academic theory into practice
The NBI Fund – HEC Montréal provides a group of students with the opportunity to invest 5 million dollars in a multi-asset portfolio (equities, bonds, alternative investments). This fund is one of the largest investment funds managed by students in Canada. It’s a unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience on top of academic training.
The National Bank Financial trading room at HEC Montréal, supplied with real-time financial data and linked to the Bloomberg and Reuters information and analysis services, is like an actual trading room at a major financial institution.
A step towards your future career
Organizations trust the expertise acquired by students with this master’s degree. This is evidenced by examples of recently proposed supervised projects.
- Analysis of the impact of economic and financial developments on an organization.
- Creation of indicators to measure performance.
- Assessment of the impacts of monetary and government policies on particular firms or financial markets.
- Creation of forecasts based on econometric advancements and machine learning.
QTEM Masters Program: Join a world-class network!
Are you looking to develop skills in analytical and quantitative techniques to support decision-making in an international context? Spend a term at one of the institutions in the prestigious QTEM network and earn your QTEM certification in quantitative technology in economics and management.
Your career outlook
Positions held by program graduates :
- Arbitrage advisor – bonds
- Financial analyst
- Quantitative analyst
- Senior analyst