Michel Patry awarded the Québec Order of Excellence in Education
May 30, 2023
Michel Patry, Professor Emeritus and President and CEO of the HEC Montreal Foundation, was appointed Distinguished Member of the Québec Order of Excellence in Education at an official ceremony on May 29 this year. This title lauds his exceptional commitment, actions and expertise which have all contributed to the improvement of education in Quebec.
“I am very touched by this award bestowed upon me and my contributions to the economic and social development of the School that I had the privilege of serving for nearly 40 years,” said Mr. Patry.
This Order was established in 2018, and it currently comprises more than one hundred Distinguished, Emeritus and Ordinary Members, including the former Minister of Education Paul Gérin-Lajoie, former Quebec Premier Pauline Marois, and Jacques Nantel, another Professor Emeritus from HEC Montréal. The winners were jointly appointed by Bernard Drainville, Minister of Education and Minister Responsible for the Chaudière-Appalaches Region, and Pascale Déry, Minister of Higher Education, both of whom were advised by members of the Order of Excellence Council.
About Michel Patry
Michel Patry holds a PhD in Economics from the University of British Columbia, and an MSc and a Bachelor’s in Business Administration (BBA) from HEC Montréal, and he joined the HEC Montréal faculty in 1983. Here are some highlights of his distinguished career:
- He is an expert in the economics of organizations and regulation and held several senior administrative positions at HEC Montréal before becoming its 10th Director in 2006. He was the Director of the PhD in Administration program, Director of Research, and Director, Academic Affairs and Strategic Planning.
- Under his leadership and during his three terms at the helm, HEC Montréal enjoyed tremendous growth and was named one of the world’s best business schools (top 5 in Canada, top 20 in North America and top 100 in the world).
- His achievements include creating several hubs of excellence and institutes, the McGill–HEC Montréal EMBA and Executive Education HEC Montréal, and developing a world-class ecosystem supporting entrepreneurship and innovation at HEC Montréal.
- He is also credited with creating the HEC Montréal Foundation (of which he has been President and CEO since 2019), and launching the School’s new building in downtown Montréal, which will open in the fall of 2023.
- Appointed Professor Emeritus of the School in 2020, he has served on many boards of directors, including those of the Université de Montréal, the Conférence des recteurs et des principaux des universités du Québec, the Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montréal, AACSB International and the European Foundation for Management Development.