The heritage collection of the former museum of the École des Hautes Études Commerciales in Montréal consists of works of applied art from major European manufacturing industries of the early twentieth century, and handicrafts based on traditional know-how from Asia and Africa.
When the School was founded in 1907, its leaders had planned to set up a commercial and industrial museum; this was finally opened in 1916 in the atrium of the Viger Street building, which was built six years earlier. The museum mainly displayed collections on technology. Following a pedagogical vocation, it focused on international trade and organized thematic exhibitions on the Commonwealth countries.
The museum curator expanded the collections annually with samples of raw or crafted products, models, stuffed animals, photographs, maps and graphs. In 1955-1956, the museum ceased its activities. The more common objects were distributed among various museum organizations in Quebec, whereas the most valuable objects became part of the School's heritage collection.