Welcome to the PhD in Finance of HEC Montréal!
Program key strengths
- PhD students in Finance at HEC Montréal benefit from a stimulating research and learning environment. Students receive continual guidance from the faculty and work closely together throughout the program.
- Finance PhD courses are jointly offered by four universities in Montréal: HEC Montréal, McGill University, Concordia University, and UQAM, giving students access to a broad range of courses taught by leading academic experts.
- HEC Montréal’s PhD in Finance program is structured to train prospective scholars to become highly skilled and innovative researchers.
Faculty and research
- The Finance faculty at HEC Montréal consists of 21 professors who form a young group of active researchers publishing in top-tier journals. Since 2020, their research has appeared in the Review of Financial Studies, the Journal of Financial Economics, the Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, and the Review of Economics and Statistics, among other journals.
- Faculty members are graduates of leading Finance and Economics departments such as London School of Economics, MIT, University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, University of California at San Diego, and Wharton.
- They conduct empirical and theoretical research in a variety of topics including Asset Pricing, Corporate Finance, Derivatives, Market Microstructure, Household Finance, Financial Econometrics, Insurance, and International Finance.
Seminars and conferences
- The Department benefits from an active seminar series with internationally renowned scholars presenting state-of-the art research. Regular internal seminars allow PhD students to present their work and receive feedback.
- The Department of Finance also hosts the Canadian Derivatives Institute - CDI, which organizes an annual conference on asset pricing and derivatives attended by top researchers.
Infrastructure and environment
- Students have access to a large data library with subscriptions to all common financial data providers including WRDS, OptionMetrics, CRSP, Compustat, I/B/E/S, and NYSE TAQ, in addition to a financial lab with Bloomberg terminals. They also have access to powerful computers and servers for running computationally intensive programs.
- CDI provides financing opportunities for projects related to asset pricing and derivatives.
- HEC Montréal is an internationally renowned business school accredited by AACSB, EQUIS, and AMBA. The school is located in a vibrant and young city that offers a unique environment for students.
For detailed instruction on how to apply and how to upload required supporting documents, please visit HEC Montréal's Ph.D. page.
For further information on the Department of Finance, please visit the Department of Finance home page.
For further information, please contact the Head of the Finance PhD Program : Vincent Grégoire.