) Le contenu

COVID-19 – Status report

 Last update :  Thursday March 30, 2020, 8:30 p.m.

Message from the director

Message of March 27, 2020
Message of March 18, 2020

School buildings will remain closed through May 3rd

AccesS to the School

Neither students nor the public have access to the premises of HEC Montréal. 

Barring rare exceptions: 

  • Only employees providing priority services may access the premises. 
  • Other employees must work remotely.

Anyone who comes to the School when they should be in isolation will be subject to sanctions.

Educational activities are maintained

  • All face-to-face courses will be given remotely until the end of the term.
  • Final exams will take place remotely.
  • 100% online courses will continue as scheduled, including assignments.
  • Online sessions for hybrid courses will continue as scheduled.

Events planned in the buildings are canceled

  • Online events are maintained.
  • Activities may be cancelled beyond May 3 depending on the pandemic’s progression.

For further information, please contact the event organizers.

For executive education participants

All courses scheduled to take place at HEC Montréal until April 30 will be given remotely using online learning tools or postponed.  

  • Decisions will be made on a program by program basis.  
  • Affected companies and participants will be contacted accordingly.  

For more information, please write to ecoledesdirigeants@hec.ca. 

Travel abroad and return to Canada

Entry to Canada

  • Only Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada are allowed to board planes heading to Canada.
  • A study permit does not confer permanent resident status. Exemptions will soon be announced. Check this page regularly for updates.


Canadian citizens and permanent residents are invited to register with “Registration of Canadians Abroad.”

  • This will enable the government to provide you with important information.
  • It is important for the Government of Canada to have a clear picture of the situation of Canadians abroad. 


If you are abroad and flights from your host country have been suspended, below is the contact information for a travel agency that the School uses. They may be able to assist you.

Galleon Travel
Phone: +1 514-948-4111
Email: galleon@iq.ca or carole@galleontravel.ca

Frequently asked questions


I recently travelled abroad. What should I do?

Whether they have symptoms or not, all School employees having returned from a trip abroad since March 12 must isolate themselves for 14 days and opt for remote work, to the extent possible. Report your situation to rh.invalidite@hec.ca. 

Whether they have symptoms or not, students having returned from a trip abroad since March 12 must isolate themselves for 14 days and write to aide@hec.ca to enquire about possible accommodations. 


I have to travel soon. What should I do?

Exchange program: 

  • The International activities and student Mobility team will continue providing service remotely.
  • You can contact the team by emailing exchange@hec.ca. 

International campuses: International campuses planned in different countries are canceled until September 1. For cancellation procedures or other information, contact the Campus Abroad team.

School-funded travel: Activities organized or funded by the School (e.g., courses or professional events) and scheduled to take place outside of Canada between now and May 1 are cancelled. Depending on the progression of the pandemic, this period could be extended. 

Instructions regarding reimbursement terms for expenses already incurred will follow. However, until further notice, we ask you not to incur any new expenses.

Emergency fund for students in financial need

Emergency assistance is available for students with tight finances and who now have urgent financial needs (food and rent, job losses, relocation).

See the details.

Winter term 

  • Winter term will end April 28 as scheduled. 
  • Until that date, we will be organizing academic activities so that the term can continue. 
  • Students are expected to remain engaged in their studies.

Face-to-face courses offered remotely

  • Teachers given flexibility to adjust each course  
  • HEC Montréal’s Academic Council has just approved some guidelines and recommendations. Their goal is to avoid work overload that could have adverse effects on student success.  
  • Teachers have the flexibility to adjust their course content and evaluations methods, in accordance with these guidelines. 
  • Teachers will communicate:
    • different methods for online course sessions; 
    • new methods for evaluation (including a possible adjustment of the weighting given to each evaluation).

We ask that you remain patient considering these exceptional circumstances.

Some evaluation methods have been reviewed

It is impossible to carry out face-to-face evaluations. 

  • Teachers have received a guide outlining possible alternatives. 
  • They are free to use the ones that are best suited to achieving their course goals. 
  • Several scenarios have been assessed to ensure the integrity, fairness and validity of the evaluations in an uncontrolled environment.


Each student is currently undergoing a different experience, both in terms of access to educational resources and in their personal life. Therefore, it is not possible to apply one flat directive in matters of evaluations. 

  • Teachers will correct the evaluations based on standard criteria.  A final grade will be awarded for each course, based on the literal system. 
  • Students may choose the option of receiving the mention “Requirements Met” (RM) rather than a grade based on the literal system. This mention will not affect the average. Further details will be made available shortly.

Distribution of final grades: a delay is to be expected

  • Final grades will be received and approved about 15 working days after the end of the term.
  • The date for dropping classes with refund for the summer 2020 term will be adjusted accordingly.


Students carrying out a mandate for a supervised project in the field can, if they wish, continue to go to work. They must, however, follow the instructions set out by the company and make sure the company is following the directives issued by the Quebec government regarding COVID-19. If they have the option, working remotely should also be considered.


Campus Abroad programs planned in different countries are cancelled until September 1. For the terms of cancellation or other information, contact the Campus Abroad team.

Summer 2020 term

  • All classes will be conducted online. 
  • Course offerings and the start date of the term will be announced before April 8. 
  • Change of sections or cancellation of classes before the deadline for dropping without refund: No change fees will be applied. 

Frequently asked questions


I am currently outside of Canada. What do I do?

 HEC Montréal is taking every measure to minimize the impact of decisions made by government authorities and airlines on students’ lives under these exceptional circumstances. Unfortunately, we have no control over these decisions. 

Canadian citizens and permanent residents 
  • The Canadian border remains open to citizens and permanent residents of Canada.  
  • On March 18 at 12:00 p.m. Montréal time, an announcement was made regarding the imminent closure of the border between Canada and the United States. We will update you on the details of this closure as they become available.  
  • We have observed that airlines have started reducing the number of flights to Canada.   
  • Before making a decision, please make sure to carefully assess your present situation to ensure you will be staying in the safest place for you to be. 
  • If you decide to return to Canada, try to purchase a ticket on a direct flight. If this is not possible, make sure that the rules and directives issued in the country in which you will be travelling or connecting are not stricter toward Canada. 

International students on a study permit 

  • You can return to Canada if you have a valid study permit or were approved for a study permit on or before March 18, 2020, and if you do not have any signs of a fever and a cough, or a fever and difficulty breathing.
  • Upon your return, you are required to completely isolate yourself for 14 days. The official notice is available on the Government of Canada website.
  • We anticipate that airlines will continue to decrease the number of flights to Canada.
  • Before making a decision on the next steps you will take, please make sure to carefully assess your present situation to ensure you will be staying in the safest place for you to be.  
  • If you decide to return to your country of origin, try to purchase a ticket on a direct flight. If this is not possible, make sure that the rules and directives issued in the country in which you will be travelling or connecting are not stricter toward your country of destination. 

How can I access Student Services remotely?

Student Services are still available. 

You can reach them by email, based on your needs: 

Email any other questions to sae.accueil@hec.ca 


You can also refer to the Student Services support and resources pages to be directed toward a range of online resources. 


I need psychological support. Who can help me?

  • You can get in touch with counselors in Student Services by writing to sae.soutien@hec.ca.
  • Check the Psychological Support page on our website. It will direct you to the various existing aid resources.

I am in self-isolation. What should I do?

Teachers have been asked to show flexibility and make accommodations to people who must self-isolate. If you have any questions about this, please contact your teachers.


I live in the student residence and I have flu symptoms. What should I do?

You are advised to stay in your room and call 1 877-644-4545. The nursing staff will assess your situation and provide the appropriate recommendations.

Important: You must notify the resident advisor.


How may I connect remotely with the Office of the Registrar’s Zone Info?

Zone Info remains accessible. However, you may only communicate with it by email.

Students on exchanGe


Students on exchange


Keep us informed 

Please make sure to complete thecontact form and indicate: 

  • Where you are 
  • Where you are going 
  • Your scheduled travel dates. 

If flights leaving your host country are suspended: 

Below is the contact information for a travel agency that the School uses. They may be able to help you. 

Galleon Travel 
Phone: +1  514-948-4111 
Email: galleon@iq.ca or carole@galleontravel.ca 

Winter term 

We are taking every measure to make sure you are able to complete your Winter term. 

  • If your host school has put measures into place enabling you to finish your term or activities remotely (e.g., online courses), we ask that you follow those instructions. 
  • If there are no such instructions, HEC Montréal will propose solutions to make sure you can complete your term. 

Frequently asked questions


Am I covered by my insurance (ASEQ) if I don’t return to Montréal?

Yes. Your travel insurance covers medical emergencies during travel until you decide to return to Canada. However, if the Canadian government issued an official warning to travellers about your destination before your departure, you will not be covered for claims related to COVID-19.


I have financial problems. How can you help me?

Loan available for the exchange programme

  • Maximum amount of $5,000 at the Bank of Canada's key lending rate + 1%.
  • Repayable 3 months after the completion of full-time studies at HEC Montréal.

To take out this loan, contact your advisor

You have already taken out this loan?

If you find yourself in a position of financial distress or are facing difficulties in meeting your basic needs, contact sae.bourses@hec.ca


Students on exchange from partner universities

We strongly recommend following the instructions and notices issued by the authorities in your country of residence or your home university. 

  • Students who wish to return home or are being called home are free to do so.  
  • Students who wish to stay in Montréal are also free to do so.  

It is important that you inform us of your decision by email at incoming@hec.ca. Make sure to include your name, student ID, home institution name and date of departure. 

International students

All students whose immigration documents are in order are authorized to stay in Canada (e.g., to write a dissertation, thesis or project report, or take online courses).


Specific cases for immigration (CAQ and study permit)

  • For students whose documents expire on March 31 and who are in Canada and have not yet started the renewal process, email sae.accueil@hec.ca
  • For students whose documents expire March 31 and who are abroad and have not yet started the renewal process, you will be able to start the renewal process from abroad in due time. You can take your courses remotely without a CAQ or study permit.
  • For students waiting for their study permit to be renewed, you can stay in Montréal or return home. If you stay, you will have implied status, so there is no problem. If you leave the country, you will lose your implied status. You can take your courses while in another country. You will be able to return in due time, under certain conditions. You can always apply again from abroad if necessary.
  • For students whose documents expire on March 31 and who are abroad and have started the renewal process, there are no special instructions for you. Please refer to the IRCC’s instructions.
  • For students whose documents expire on August 31, you still have time to renew your documents. We will expect further directives from the IRCC if necessary.
  • For students whose documents expire on a date between March 31, 2020 and August 31, 2020, email sae.accueil@hec.ca, and depending on how the situation progresses, we will guide you through the process.
  • For all other cases or questions, email us at sae.accueil@hec.ca.


Working off campus

  • All students whose study permit allows them to work off campus are still allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week, for the time being. We will notify you if there are any changes made in this regard.
  • For students who have a co-op work permit and are registered for a supervised project, you are still allowed to work full time solely with the company with which you are carrying out your credited academic activity.


Post-graduation work permit

The Ministry of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship issued a tweet on March 13 confirming that courses of study being delivered online on an exceptional basis due to COVID-19 will not affect Post-Graduation Work Permit Program eligibility for a post-graduation work permit. We will keep you abreast of any new developments. We will be paying close attention to needs for official transcripts and certificates of completion. 

Have other questions? Please email sae.accueil@hec.ca.

Frequently asked questions


Am I covered by my insurance (Sun Life Financial) if I stay in Montréal?

If you stay in Montréal, your coverage will remain the same for the duration of your policy. For questions about your policy, contact Sun Life Financial, at 1-800-361-6212. 


I’m renting an apartment in Montréal. What should I do before I leave?

We strongly recommend that you inform your landlord (the person with whom you have signed the lease) of your decision to leave Montréal.

Take the time to find out about your obligations (rent to be paid and others). Indeed, you remain bound by the lease agreement that you signed.

Alternative measures

To allow your students to continue the term despite the inability to teach in-class :

  • The dissemination of alternative teaching materials to students is the School's preferred means of alleviating the situation. The Tegrity tool will allow you to create short videos by recording your voice and your screen, but you could also create any other form of material (texts, audio recordings, etc.).
  • Synchronous (live) lessons are to be avoided, with some exceptions, given the connection issues for some students and the capacity issues. Brief optional activities (question period, availability, etc.) are possible, in particular through Teams.

  • The information page for teachers prepared for the circumstances will offer you appropriate tools and advice on the elements that you can put in place now to maintain the academic activities. If you have specific situations (oral presentations by students), contact the DAIP.

  • An invitation to distance learning to familiarize yourself with the Tegrity tool will be sent to you the week of March 16.

School-funded travel

Activities organized or funded by the School (e.g., professional courses or events) that were scheduled to take place outside of Canada from now until May 1 are cancelled. Depending on the progression of the pandemic, activities may be cancelled after this date as well.

Stay tuned for instructions on getting reimbursed for related expenses already incurred. However, until further notice, please do not take on any new expenses.

Measures adopted by granting organizations 

Please check the websites of granting organizations on a regular basis for updates on the measures they are taking (e.g., extended grant periods and extended deadlines).

Frequently asked questions


A student reported to me that he had self-isolated. What should I do?

Give him some form of accommodation. If you have questions about accommodation or quarantine protocols, write to your department.


Can I ask a student to drop a course if he or she self-isolates for two weeks?

No. This is a stressful time for the entire community, especially those contemplating self-isolation.

We ask that you be flexible and accommodate the student. If you have any questions or concerns, write to your department.

Remote work

Advice from the IT Department

  • Employees who have not been notified by their direct supervisor that they must provide priority services are encouraged to work remotely from March 16 through May 3.
  • Please see the checklist (in French only) issued by Information Technologies and Knowledge Management, which includes tips for keeping data secure while working remotely.

Material borrowing

Staff who are working remotely can borrow computer and office materials from HEC Montréal. To do so, they must:

  • email a request to their manager clearly stating the materials they would like to borrow 
  • wait to receive authorization
  • follow the procedure given by the manager to collect the material.

Frequently asked questions 


I am working remotely. What important recommendations do you have regarding data security?

A checklist issued by IT and Knowledge Management, which includes tips for keeping data secure while working remotely. Download the file (in French only).


What can I do to make my home work station more ergonomic?

We are sharing some guides (in French only) to help you adjust your work station.

We are also offering our staff working remotely the option of borrowing computer or office equipment belonging to HEC Montréal (e.g., headphones, monitor, printer or scanner). They must:

  • email their manager a request clearly stating the equipment they would like to borrow 
  • wait to receive authorization
  • follow the procedure given by the manager to collect the equipment.

Priority services

Food services 

From March 16 to May 3, COOP food services will not be available.

Free parking 

Employees who usually take public transit and must come to the School, such as to provide priority services, are offered free parking at the Côte-Sainte-Catherine and Decelles buildings.

Frequently asked questions 


I have been asked to go to work. Can my children come with me?

No. Employees are not permitted to bring children to work, so as to limit the spread of the virus. 


How can I use the free parking at the School? 

Parking is free for employees who must come to work. If the gates are closed, use the interphone to ask for access.

Travel abroad and return to Canada

Return to Canada 

All employees returning from a country outside of Canada are required to go into preventative self-isolation for 14 days, regardless of the country from which they departed. They must also report their situation to rh.invalidite@hec.ca.

Frequently asked questions


Can faculty and staff travel abroad?

School-funded travel: Activities organized or funded by the School (e.g., course or professional events) and scheduled to take place outside of Canada between now and May 1 are cancelled. You must therefore cancel trips related to these activities. Depending on the progression of the pandemic, the cancellation period for such activities could be extended. 

Instructions regarding reimbursement terms for expenses already incurred will follow. However, until further notice, we ask you not to incur any new expenses.

Other travel: The Government of Canada is issuing active travel health advisories for the coronavirus. Each country or region presents different levels of risk and these may change without notice. In this context, it is strongly recommended to postpone any non-essential travel, including participation in symposia, conferences and seminars. If you absolutely must travel for personal reasons, please inform your immediate supervisor.


Can the school require staff to disclose if they have travelled outside the country?

Yes. During times of force majeure and considering the significant risk of spreading the virus, we can ask about the details of your travel and that of your family members. However, HEC Montréal is still required to uphold confidentiality.

Health and safety


What should I do if I’m feeling anxiety or stress about the current situation?

You can contact the employee assistance program for remote psychological support

You can also go for a walk or do some exercise at home. There are a number of free platforms that share all sorts of workouts. 

During this time, when so many people are feeling irritable and anxious, we have never been more in need of civility, courtesy and respect.


What is my duty in terms of occupational health and safety during the epidemic?

You must take the necessary steps to protect your health, safety and physical well-being. You must also make sure you are not endangering the health, safety or physical well-being of other people in the workplace.

Protect yourself and protect others by washing your hands. This is the most important action you can take against respiratory illnesses.

Practise social distancing. This means limiting your contact with other people during the COVID-19 epidemic. 

Suggestions to limit direct contact: 

  • Avoid face-to-face meetings. 
  • Shorten the length of meetings.
  • Meet in large rooms.
  • Use communication and network tools and technologies to communicate with others.
  • Keep the workspace ventilated and leave doors open to avoid touching them too often. 
  • Avoid cafeterias. 
  • Space out your break times to prevent everyone from taking their break at the same time.


Can the School require staff to undergo COVID-19 screening?

Non. Seules les autorités de la Santé publique peuvent exiger d’une personne un test de dépistage du COVID-19.  
Cependant, en tant qu’employeur, HEC Montréal doit s’assurer d’offrir à tous un milieu sain et sécuritaire, et renvoyer chez elles les personnes présentant des symptômes. 


I had insurance (health, medication) with my spouse’s employer. My spouse just lost their job due to the current situation. Can I modify my insurance with the School?

Yes. This event is eligible and makes it possible for you to change your insurance coverage between two sign-up periods. Contact dany.fex@hec.ca for access to the Sun Life tool. 

Various questions


I am registered for an event that is scheduled to be held soon outside of School buildings. Will it still take place?

Contact the event organizers for details regarding postponement or cancellation. If it is cancelled, please notify the authority that gave you approval to attend the event.


I am registered for an event that is scheduled to be held soon outside of School buildings. Will it still take place?

The Human Resources Office will contact the people enrolled in each training workshop to let them know if it will proceed or be postponed. Some training workshops will be offered online.


How can I offer to help my colleagues who have heavy workloads during this crisis?

Ask your manager—they can let the others know about your availability. 


Will my remaining vacation days carry over to the next fiscal year if I cannot use them by May 31?

The Administration encourages you to use your vacation days by May 31, especially if you feel the need given the current situation.

If you are unable to use your vacation time due to operational needs or personal reasons, your manager must: 

  • be notified
  • approve the carryover of your unused vacation days to 2020-2021
  • receive authorization from the Human Resources Office.


How do I send you my request for a waiver of tuition fees? 

Email a legible scanned copy of your request to rh.formation@hec.ca. Make sure to send the required documents, e.g., an invoice with the fees listed, or a course schedule.

Frequently asked questions about COVID-19


What are the symptoms of COVID-19?

Symptoms include:

  • Fever,
  • Cough,
  • Difficulty breathing,

Symptoms may take up to 14 days to appear after exposure to COVID-19.


What are the symptoms of COVID-19?

Symptoms include:

  • Fever,
  • Cough,
  • Difficulty breathing,

Symptoms may take up to 14 days to appear after exposure to COVID-19.


What should I do to protect myself? Should I wear a mask?

Wearing a mask is not recommended for healthy individuals and people who have not travelled outside Canada. Masks can be contaminated easily and need to be changed frequently and properly adjusted to provide adequate protection.

However, if you are experiencing symptoms of an illness that spreads through the air, wearing a mask may help to prevent infecting others. The mask acts as a barrier that helps stop tiny droplets from spreading when you sneeze or cough.

If you are caring for a sick person or are in direct contact with a sick person, wearing a mask may help protect you from COVID-19, but it will not completely eliminate the risk of illness.

The best way to protect yourself from COVID-19 is to follow the preventive measures set out by the Public Health Agency of Canada.

Useful links