The IAB Meets in Paris for a Roundtable Discussion on Financial Stability
April 14, 2011
Over one hundred HEC Montréal alumni and businesspeople will be attending a roundtable discussion in Paris tomorrow on the theme of regulating markets and financial institutions. The event is being held as part of a meeting of the HEC Montréal International Advisory Board (IAB), organized jointly by the School and the Groupe La Poste, which will be welcoming distinguished guests and participants to its conference centre.
The keynote speaker for the meeting will be internationally renowned French economist Jean Tirole, President of the Toulouse School of Economics, whom the School awarded an Honorary PhD in 2007. Mr. Tirole, a leading expert in political and financial economics, among other fields of expertise, will examine developments since the 2008 crisis from the angle of challenges to financial stability.
Heads of European and North American financial firms and regulatory organizations will then debate what we have learned from the crisis and their expectations and concerns given the complex situation and the proposed regulatory initiatives.
The distinguished guests taking part in the roundtable discussion will be:
- Jean Boivin, Deputy Governor of the Bank of Canada;
- Léon Courville, former President of the National Bank of Canada;
- Nathalie Drouin, Executive Director, Enforcement and Legal Affairs, with Quebec’s Autorité des marchés financiers;
- René Proglio, President of Morgan Stanley France;
- Jean-Paul Redouin, Deputy Governor, Banque de France;
- Scott Roger, Senior Economist, European office of the International Monetary Fund (IMF);
- Philippe Wahl, President of the Banque Postale; and
- Brian Walsh, Managing Partner, Saguenay Capital, LLC.
Alain Batty, President of A. Batty & Associates, will moderate the roundtable discussion. The questions he will be asking participants will include:
- What will the regulatory environment look like, and what impact will it have on financial institutions and the creation of new financial instruments?
- What trade-offs are regulatory bodies making between the need for international convergence and national imperatives?
- In today’s globalized world, is the rule of national priority still reasonable? Are supranational organizations ready to take on the new challenges that are arising?
The closing address will be delivered by Dominique Cerruti, President of Euronext Paris and Deputy Chief Executive Officer of NYSE Euronext.