Content Menu

3. Study permit issued by the Government of Canada


Apply for a study permit with Citizenship and Immigration Canada after you have received your Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ). You can use your letter of approval of CAQ with your study permit application; there is no need to wait for the original CAQ to apply.


You can apply for a study permit either via the nearest visa application centre (VAC) or online through Citizenship and Immigration Canada.


General information: 

  • The Designated learning Institution number (DLI #) for HEC Montréal is O19359011058
  • Students from certain countries must also apply for a temporary resident visa.
  • International students with an mandatory internship as part of their program of study can apply for their co-op or internship work permit at the same time as they apply for their study permit, before they arrive in Canada. Their acceptance letter should then include a statement concerning the project they have to make.


Additional requirements for some international students: 


  Review processing times by visa office


+  Tips on how to have a successful application

  • You can get administrative support with your application by going to a visa application centre (VAC). We recommend that you submit your application through a VAC if you do not live near a Canadian visa office
  • If you choose to use the services of an immigration lawyer or counselor, or if you have another representative who is helping you with your application, be sure to submit the 'Use of a Representive' form along with your application in order to protect yourself. No one can guarantee the approval of your application.
  • It is recommended to have a passport that is valid for at least three months after the end of your studies.
  • Your country of residence determines what steps you will need to take to apply for a study permit, not just your country of citizenship.
  • Make sure that your application is complete. An error or a missing document can cause a delay of several weeks.
  • The documents that you send with your application will not be returned. Please keep a copy of each document you submit.

+  Once you receive a response from CIC

  • When your application for a study permit is approved, you will receive an email or a confirmation letter. Print this document and bring it with you when you arrive at the Canadian border. This document is not your study permit.
  • It is only upon the presentation of the confirmation letter for your study permit, as well as the rest of the documents that are necessary for your particular situation, that you will receive your study permit at the entry point in Canada.
  • If you are flying into the Montréal-Trudeau Airport, we recommend that you sign up for the Accueil Plus service to accelerate the reception of your study permit. This service is free and is offered to students who arrive during the month of August.
  • The study permit should cover the total duration of your studies. It can be renewed from within Canada if necessary.



*This information has no official value and is only a synthesis of the required procedures to the best of our knowledge at the date of publication. Changes to laws can occur at any time without further notice. The laws and rules of Quebec and Canada, as well as the information provided on the websites of the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité et de l'Inclusion (MIDI) as well as Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), take precedence over the information contained herein.

Share this page :
| Plus
Logo HEC Montréal

Facebook YouTube Flickr Twitter LinkedIn Instagram
© HEC Montréal, 2019  All rights reserved.