Content Menu

RAMQ: exemption for nationals of certain countries

The Québec government has entered into reciprocal social security agreements, which include a health component, with the following countries:

  • Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugual, Romania and  Sweden. 
  • If you are a student from France, but you don't have the French nationality, you still might have access to the RAMQ insurance coverage. Check with your national health insurance office (CPAM).

+  Conditions of eligibility

You are eligible for the RAMQ plan, without charge, if you satisfy all three of the following conditions:

  • You are a full-time student (part-time students are not eligible for the RAMQ).
  • You are a citizen of Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Romania or Sweden.
  • You were covered by your country’s social security system when you left for Québec (as an insured person or someone having the rights of an insured person).
  • If you are a French citizen, or a foreign national under a French regime, you must be covered by one of the following health insurance plans:
    • the Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie (CPAM) on the date of your departure.
    • a student health insurance plan on the date of your departure
    • the Caisse des Français de l'étranger (CFE) during the previous year. If this is your situation, you can ask for the form directly from the CFE by contacting Madame Sophie Matias at

+  RAMQ coverage

The RAMQ coverage includes medical care from generalist and specialist physicians, as well as hospital expenses. Please note that dental care, vision care (eyeglasses) and prescription medication are not covered by the RAMQ.  

However, French and Belgian students are covered under the Public Prescription Drug Insurance Plan.

For costs not covered by the RAMQ, you may wish to buy an optional supplementary insurance plan.  

+  How to apply for RAMQ coverage

A - Before you leave your home country

Procure the form* mentioned below and have it signed by the social security authority of your country:


Beligum Form BE/QUE 128
Denmark Denmark health card
Finland Form SF/Q 4

For students in a regular program leading to a diploma from HEC Montréal:

    • Form SE-401-Q102 (Attestation d'appartenance au régime français préalablement au départ pour le Québec) issued by CPAM  (Caisse Primaire d'assurance maladie de votre domicile) even if you're registered with student social security.
    • Important: This form must be issued by the CPAM covering you during the past year.

For international exchange students:

    • Form SE-401-Q106 (Attestation d’affiliation à leur régime de sécurité sociale des participants aux échanges et établissements d’enseignement supérieur) issued by CPAM (Caisse Primaire d'assurance maladie de votre domicile) even if you're registered with student social security.
    • Important: This form must be issued by the CPAM covering you during the past year and must be signed by your school.
Greece Form GR/QUE 6
Luxembourg Form LUX-QUE 4
Norway Attestation issued by the HELFO (health administration) or by NAV (Norwegian national insurance scheme for abroad)
Portugal Form POR/QUE 4
Romania Form ROU/QUE 106
Sweden Attestation issued by a competent institution certifying the student's right to heathcare coverage (for example, the Swedish Social Insurance Agency)

 * Please note that any documents not in French or English must be translated into French by a competent authority. See the paragraph on Foreign language documents (under Step 2) posted on the RAMQ website for further information.


B - Upon your arrival at Montreal

1. Make an appointment with the RAMQ (only for the fall semester).*

From August 14 until September 29, you need to make an appointment to present yourself at the office of the RAMQ. 

  • Students without CAQ or study permit : make an appointment by calling the RAMQ : 1 877-992-5233

*For the winter semester, you don't need an appointment. Go straight to the RAMQ office.

2. Show up at the RAMQ office :

Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec 

425 Maisonneuve Ouest Blvd
 3th floor, office 301
Place des Arts Station or McGill Station 

Find on Google Maps


With the required documents :

  1. Your passport and an other identity document.
  2. Your CAQ.
  3. Your attestation of full-time studies (print it from your HECenligne account and available from early august).
  4. Your social security form signed by your home country.
  5. The confirmation of your appointment.
  6. Montreal address where you can receive your RAMQ card. Commercial addresses such as a hotel, hostel, or university are not accepted.
  7. 9 $ plus taxes, which are charges for the photo taken on the spot.


The student must present a proof of his eligibility to the RAMQ (a copy of his eligibility certificate from the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) OR the picture of his Health Insurance card) covering the full quarter :

  • In HEC en ligne : under the Section «Insurance - proof» OR;
  • At the Zone Info of the Registrar’s Office (Decelles Building, Room 2.260).

All students who have not provided the required documents by the deadline (final date for the payment of the tuition fees) will be charged for the cost of the School's insurance.

Note: It is your responsibility to notify HEC Montreal if you are no longer eligible for the RAMQ.
Share this page :
| Plus
Logo HEC Montréal

Facebook YouTube Flickr Twitter LinkedIn Instagram
© HEC Montréal, 2019  All rights reserved.