Content Menu

Credited internship program as part of your study program

You must obtain an internship work permit COOP (C-32) if your program of study includes a credited mandatory internship. 

If you are in Canada, use this link to apply for your internship work permit.

Warning: Not respecting the conditions related to your study or work permit could lead to penalties by the immigration authorities.


+  When can I apply?

If the internship is a mandatory component of your program of study, apply for the internship work permit at the same time as you apply for your study permit, before you arrive in Canada. Your acceptance letter should then include a statement concerning the project you have to make.

If you have changed your program stream and your program now includes a mandatory internship, plan to apply for the internship work permit at least one trimestre in advance. 

If you choose to incorporate a non-mandatory internship but credited to your curriculum, plan a session in advance for your steps.

You must have the internship work permit in hand BEFORE you start your internship. Check processing times because they vary drastically throughout the year.

+  Exemptions

Only students at baccalauréat level completing an internship during the summer trimestre are exempted from this step.

+  Can I do an internship that is not for credit in my program?

If the internship is not a mandatory component of your program of study, it means that, you do not get credits for it, you must respect the work authorizations as stated on your study permit, that is to say a maximum of 20 hours per week off-campus during regular academic trimestres and full-time during scheduled academic breaks.

Read about off-campus work authorizations

+  How can I find an internship?

Consult the Ma Carrière web portal and sign up for Career Management Services workshops. You can also speak with your career counselor for additional help if needed. 

+  Do I have other requirements to fulfill?

  1. Make sure to read all the conditions on your internship work permit.
  2. If you internship is paid, you will need to apply for a social insurance number.
  3. If you internship is paid, you also must declare your income at the provincial and federal level.
    1. Révenu Québec
    2. Canada Revenue Agency

+  And if I have questions?

If you have questions about your enrolment in the internship/supervised project or any other question related to your program of study: 

  • Consult the regulations for your program at My program
  • Consult with your academic advisor at the Registrar's office

For the internship search: 

  • Consult the resources available through Ma Carrière and Career Management Services

For technical questions while applying for the internship work permit:

  • Consult the web page for getting a student work permit, the CIC Help Centre, or call the Help Centre at 1-800-242‑2100.
  • Go to Student Services' workshops. Watch for newsletters for the dates and times.
  • Meet with a student advisor in Student Life (RJ-711, Côte-Sainte-Catherine building) or write to









*This information has no official value and is only a synthesis of the required procedures to the best of our knowledge at the date of publication. Changes to laws can occur at any time without further notice. The laws and rules of Quebec and Canada, as well as the information provided on the websites of the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité et de l'Inclusion (MIDI) as well as Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), take precedence over the information contained herein.

Share this page :
| Plus
Logo HEC Montréal

Facebook YouTube Flickr Twitter LinkedIn Instagram
© HEC Montréal, 2018  All rights reserved.