Content Menu

Step 2. Entry and stay autorizations

International students must satisfy certain requirements introduced by the Government of Canada and, in some situation, requirements of the Government of Québec.


To enter Canada, you need the Admission letter available in HEC en ligne, and, you may need the following documents:

  • Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ)
  • Study Permit issued by the Government of Canada
  • Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
  • Transit visa (if needed)


One-term exchange

"Visitor » status in Canada" (less than 6 months)

Depending on the citizenship, one-term exchange students can enter canada with an eTA or a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

*If the processing time to obtain a Study permit is shorter than the processing time for a temporary resident visa (TRV), one-term exchange students may decide to apply for a Study permit. No CAQ is required for one-term exchange students, but you must replace the CAQ in the Study permit application by a letter of support provided by HEC Montréal.

The eTA processing time is always 24 hours.

Two-term exchange

"Temporary resident" status in Canada (over 6 months)

Two-Term exchange students must obtain a CAQ and a Study permit.

  • Step 1 : Make sure your passport is valid at least six (6) months after your stay in Canada
  • Step 2 : Apply for a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ)
  • Step 3 : Apply for a Study Permit and entry document* in the same application, only once the CAQ has been approved

- The  Study permit application will automatically include the eTA or Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) application form.

All formalities must be carried out BEFORE your departure for Canada.  

Consult the list of Visa Application Centers (VACs) to complete the study permit application. Please be cautious of fraud and only contact the centers from this list.

Working in Canada 

If you do not have a Study permit, you cannot work in Canada. Only two-terms exchange students with a valid Study permit on which is mentioned the condition authorizing work off campus are allowed to work part time after the program has started.

Importance notice! 

Failure to obtain your entry authorizations before your arrival in Canada could make it difficult or impossible for you to enter the country. If you are unable to provide HEC Montréal with proof that you have obtained the necessary immigration documents before your arrival, the school will be unable to officially admit you.

Please contact us immediately should you have any questions or problems :


Share this page :
| Plus
Logo HEC Montréal

Facebook YouTube Flickr Twitter LinkedIn Instagram
© HEC Montréal, 2022  All rights reserved.