Content Menu

Step 3. Compulsory Health Insurance

The Ministère de l'Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport of Quebec requires international students to obtain medical insurance that is valid in Quebec for the duration of their stay.

All international students are automatically registered for the HEC Montréal health insurance offered by Sunlife and the premium billed appears in their HEC en ligne account under the heading “tuition fees”.

You must be covered by this insurance unless you are exempted because of your eligibility to the insurance from the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ).

+  SunLife: compulsory health insurance from HEC Montréal

  • Payment by card (debit or credit) at HEC Montréal or by CIBC bank transfer upon your arrival. Wait approximately 2 weeks after paying the insurance premium to access your SunLife card.

See details of fees, coverage and card printing guide here.

+  RAMQ: exemption from SunLife, under certain conditions

If your country has signed a social security agreement with Quebec, you may be eligible for exemption from Sunlife insurance. If you are not covered by the "social security insurance" in  a country on the list below, you must keep and pay the SunLife insurance (HEC Montréal do not accept any other insurance plan).

For eligible students.

  • Before your arrival in Québec: have the appropriate form completed by the authorities in your country (see the table below).
  • As soon as you arrive in Quebec: send your request to the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ).
    • The following documents are required:
      • Form completed in your country,
      • CAQ and study permit, if you are studying two semesters at HEC Montréal,
      • Proof of registration from HEC Montréal (available in HEC en ligne)
      • Copy of passport.
    • You will also need to provide an address in Quebec.
  • After submitting the application to RAMQ: upload the letter confirming receipt of your application to HEC en ligne (check your e-mails and junk e-mails).
  • Upon receipt of the RAMQ card: upload your card to HEC en ligne so that the Sunlife insurance fees can be withdrawn from your account.


Belgium Form BE/QUE 128
Denmark Form Que-Dan4 Tourist Health Insurance Certificate
Finland Form SF-Q4 produced by the Social Insurance Institution
France Form SE-401-Q-106, “Attestation of affiliation to the social security system of the country of origin: inter-university exchanges”
Greece Form GR/QUE 6 (ΚΕΜΠΕΚ-ΕΛΛΑΣ 6)
Luxembourg Lux-Que Form 4
Norway Certificate issued by HELFO (Health Administration) or the NAV (National Office for Social Insurance Abroad)
Portugal Form POR/QUE4
Serbia Form SRB/QUE 14 completed by competent authorities
Sweden Certificate issued by the competent institution certifying his right to coverage of health services
Romania Form ROU/QUE 106


Please note that medication, ambulance transport, emergency medical evacuation, repatriation of the body in the event of death and any trip outside Quebec are not covered by the RAMQ health insurance plan.

+  Additional Insurances

In addition to the RAMQ or the SunLife insurance, we strongly recommend that you take out additional insurance according to your needs (baggage insurance, cancellation, etc.) or to extend your coverage for a longer stay in Canada.

Find out in your country of origin before you leave, as you cannot take out such insurance from Canada.

If you arrive in Canada before the HEC Montréal Sunlife insurance coverage period (August 16 for the fall term or January 1 for the winter term), you must obtain medical insurance covering this period. Find out in your country of origin before you leave.

See list of medical and dental clinics in Montreal

Share this page :
| Plus
Logo HEC Montréal

Facebook YouTube Flickr Twitter LinkedIn Instagram
© HEC Montréal, 2023  All rights reserved.