PhD in administration - Finance
PhD in Administration — Finance
You have your sights set on excellence and you’re planning on a career in academia or business, in the field of finance?
Do your PhD in a specialization that trains highly qualified and innovative researchers, in a stimulating milieu with outstanding resources, at the cutting edge of knowledge in finance.
Your PhD in short
- Offered in English.
- Offered by HEC Montréal jointly with Concordia and McGill universities and the Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM). This partnership gives you access to resources (faculty and courses) rarely available elsewhere in the world.
- Full-time program allowing you to complete your studies in 4 or 5 years.
- Tuition fees waived and competitive funding for the first four years of your studies.
- Option of spending one or two terms at one of the top business schools in North America, between your 3rd and 5th years.
- Option of taking part in the HEC – McGill Doctoral Finance Workshops, annual events held jointly by the Department of Finance and the McGill University Desmarais Global Finance Research Centre.
For a career in academia or business
Most of the 36 graduates from this doctoral program hold positions as professors at Canadian or foreign universities.
They are employed at such prestigious institutions as the University of Wisconsin (USA), KAIST College of Business (Korea), VU University Amsterdam (Netherlands), NEOMA Business School (France), ESG UQAM (Canada), York University (Canada) and Rowe School of Business (Canada).
Graduates who have chosen to work in the private sector hold positions with Bloomberg, the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, Desjardins, Ernst & Young, and the National Bank of Canada, for example.
Among the best
PhD students in this specialization benefit from:
- Close supervision by professors in the Department of Finance, who hold degrees from such top-tier institutions as the London School of Economics, MIT, Swiss Finance Institute, University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, University of California San Diego and Wharton.
- A series of seminars featuring presentations by internationally renowned scholars.
- Access to the leading suppliers of financial data, including WRDS, OptionMetrics, CRSP, Compustat, I/B/E/S and NYSE TAQ — as well as to the trading room, supplied with Bloomberg data.
- The Computing and Data Mining Laboratory (LACED).
Varied research interests
The main research interests of the professors in the Department of Finance cover the following themes:
- Asset pricing
- Corporate finance
- Portfolio and risk management
- Financial markets and institutions
- Capital market theory
- Banking and insurance
- Financial econometrics
World-class research in finance
HEC Montréal offers doctoral students in finance an exceptional scientific milieu, through its research chairs and professorships.
The 20 researchers in this specialization are known for their excellence. Their work has recently been published in the world’s top five finance journals:
- The Journal of Finance
- The Journal of Financial Economics
- The Review of Financial Studies
- The Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis
- The Review of Finance
Be part of innovative research
Researchers in this specialization work closely with several research groups and knowledge transfer hubs, including:
HEC Montréal is a founding member of the Institute for Data Valorization (IVADO)
. The Institute brings together 900 scientists interested in optimization (operational research) and data science. The group has received major funding ($93.6 million) for research into big data mining.
The Department of Finance houses the Montreal Institute of Structured Finance and Derivatives (IFSID).
- The IFSID aims at promoting collaborations between academics and professionals in research/training projects in derivatives markets. It provides funding for research projects in the fields of derivatives pricing, risk management, market regulation, clearing, accounting, and financial innovation.
- The IFSID also holds an annual conference on a wide range of issues associated with derivatives attended by the world’s top researchers.