Scholarships: Generous Support for Tomorrow's Leaders
April 30, 2008
Some 140 scholarships were announced at the second annual official scholarship award ceremony, held this year on April 9 for undergraduate students and on April 16 for graduate and postgraduate students. Thanks to our generous donors, almost $2.7 million has been handed out in the following categories, for all programs, in this school year:
- Scholarships: $765,775;
- Admission scholarships (all programs) and fast-track scholarships (to encourage and reward students advancing quickly in their MSc in Administration and PhD studies, while maintaining an excellent academic record): $1,518,250;
- Travel scholarships for students participating in the Passport to the World international exchange program in 2007-2008: $243,000;
- Mercure scholarships for BBA graduates: $32,000;
- Need-based bursaries: $149,000.
New scholarship programs
Secretary General Jacques Nantel warmly thanked all the donors for their support for tomorrow’s leaders. He also noted a number of new awards:
- Diane and Jean-Pierre Gagné family scholarships, offered thanks to the creation of a $250,000 endowment fund, intended to encourage entrepreneurship in sustainable development;
- Jean Rastoul bursaries, thanks to a $10,000 donation over 5 years, to support students from remote regions;
- Mittal Canada scholarships, to support students showing leadership and entrepreneurial spirit;
- Étoile Desjardins scholarships, awarded to students involved in their community and to recognize achievements in keeping with Desjardins values;
- Ivanhoe Cambridge scholarships, thanks to a $300,000 donation over 5 years, to support students enrolled in the Certificate in Retail and Distribution Management program, among others.