Content Menu

Getting Settled Into Your New Place

Housing Insurance (strongly recommended)

While you are not required to get housing insurance for your personal items, it could be a smart thing to do.  Your landlord has insurance that covers the building, but not the personal belongings inside apartments.

It is imperative that you contact several insurance firms to compare the various plans and rates.  Private firms and all of the major banks also offer housing insurance for tenants to protect their valuables.

You may wish to contact TD Meloche Monnex as they offer our students a rebate through a deal with Réseau HEC Montréal.


Top ∧



Electricity and Gas

To open a utility account for gas or electricity, you need to contact the utilities companies directly:

  • Hydro-Québec (electricity) New! For an estimate of your electricity bills in your next appartment, call Hydro-Québec's customer service: 1-888-385-7252 
  • Gaz Métropolitain (gas) 

Top ∧


Getting furnitures for your place 


New furnitures Used furnitures Classified ads Home accessories

IKEA Montréal
9191 Blvd. Cavendish
Bus 202 from station Du-Collège, or bus 100 from station Crémazie

IKEA Boucherville
586, rue de Touraine
Bus RTL 80 from station
 Longueuil– 450-449-6755

Brault & Martineau (clearence shop)
3782 Blvd. Côte Vertu (station Côte Vertu)

8701 Boulevard L’Acadie


Used furniture
637 rue Jarry Ouest
Phone : 514-270-0275

Entraide Montréal
3756 rue Masson
Phone : 514-725-9192

9015, rue Meilleur
Phone : 514-745-5425

Tout Montréal



Les Pac

Dollarama : chain store where everything is between $1 and $3; convenient for all kitchen utensils

Canadian Tire :

Walmart :


Top ∧

Logo HEC Montréal

Facebook YouTube Flickr Twitter LinkedIn Instagram
© HEC Montréal, 2017  All rights reserved.