Content Menu

Choosing a supervised project for the MSc

The Master of Science in Administration is offered with a thesis or supervised project stream – the project may be carried out within an organization or at the university. Both streams are excellent ways to open the door to a promising career in the management field. Our graduates’ skills are in great demand on the market. Which stream you choose is a matter of personal preference. It is up to you to decide on the stream that best reflects your interests and to find a supervised project, within an organization or at the university. Before starting to look for your project, you should consult M Sc. Supervised projects: Guidelines and Requirements, drawn up by your program administration.


Work permits (visas)


Scholarships for international supervised projects

List of forms

Resource persons

Summary table of procedures for a supervised project within an organization or at the university

For all questions about administrative procedures, contact your option head or the Registrar’s office, at 340-6000, ext. 2955



For supervised projects within an organization, students should generally be paid for their work, in the form of wages or a scholarship. This remuneration is agreed upon by the student and the host organization. 

The work done for supervised projects at the university may also be remunerated. 

Supervised projects in Quebec/Canada: See the pay rates by the Quebec government and the federal Public Service for student jobs and internships as part of study programs: 

Supervised projects in Europe: Internships in Europe are unpaid, but a stipend (indemnité) is usually offered (mandatory for internships of 2 months or more). It is important to properly describe your program of studies so as to receive the highest stipend. For more information

  • Average stipends for 2nd- and 3rd-year BBA students: 800 to 1000 €; BBA graduates: 1200 to 1800 €. MSc: you should receive at least the stipend offered for BBA graduates.
  • Negotiate your stipend: mention that HEC Montréal holds the three accreditations (AACSB, EQUIS, AMBA) and is a member of the Conférence des Grandes Écoles de France, and point out the School’s placement in international rankings.
  • Since the HEC Montréal MSc program corresponds to the ''Master spécialisé'' or ''BAC+6'' in Europe, it is important to indicate this in the European version of your CV (see the model European CV on the SGC site) and to mention this to your prospective employer when negotiating your stipend.

Work permits (visas)

-International students:

  • Supervised projects at the university: You do not need a work permit.
  • Supervised project outside Canada: For projects outside Canada, you must contact Student Services for information on renewing your CAQ, study permit and health insurance.
    ( To work in any country of which you are not a citizen, check the legislation of the host country before starting to look for an internship/job (i.e. work permit, visa, internship agreement).
  • Supervised project in Canada: International students planning to carry out a paid or unpaid supervised project must first determine whether an internship permit is required, depending on their individual situation. Remember to allow time to receive the permit. For more information: work permit for credited internships / supervised projects (in French).

-All students – supervised projects in France or elsewhere in Europe:

  • Students with European citizenship do not need a permit to work in Europe. For other nationalities, contact the consulate/embassy (in your country of origin) of the country in which you want to work.
  • Internships by Quebec students:


(civil liability, occupational accidents and illness)

Unpaid supervised projects in Quebec: You must usually provide the organization with proof of civil liability insurance from HEC Montréal. Contact the supervised project co-ordinator ( if this applies to you.

Supervised projects outside Quebec: Check your insurance coverage, since the insurance offered by ASEQ at HEC Montréal is generally insufficient. You may have to take out full traveller’s insurance including coverage for occupational accidents and industrial diseases, hospitalization and repatriation. You can obtain more information from the International Students Office (BAEI) on this subject. The School assumes no civil liability for you during your project.

  • Before you go, you are responsible for informing the Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) of how long you will be staying abroad. You must ask for your eligibility for health insurance to be extended, by calling the RAMQ or completing the appropriate form.
  • N.B.: The RAMQ has agreements with certain countries (France, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Luxembourg, Belgium, Greece and Portugal) guaranteeing you services essentially equivalent to those you would receive in Quebec, provided you maintain your student status. Contact the RAMQ for information on how to proceed and what forms you need to complete to obtain this coverage. Since these agreements cover only certain basic services and not all fees, you may need to take out supplementary insurance.

Supervised projects in France: For internships with stipends exceeding 12.5% of the monthly ceiling for social security, the host organization must make contributions to the Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie (CPAM). For stipends of 12.5% or less, the intern must take out insurance covering occupational accidents and industrial diseases. For more information, contact the HEC Bureau international Europe (BIE). In either case, the School assumes no civil liability for you during your project.

Scholarships for supervised projects abroad

Students carrying out unpaid supervised projects abroad may be eligible for a $2,500 scholarship.


  1. Completed at least 12 credits in the MSc program at the time of the international supervised project
  2. Enrolled in the program at the time of application
  3. Good academic record
  4. No research grant from SSHRC, NSERC, FQRSC, IFM2, etc.

How to apply:

Go to the Directory of Scholarships and search by the scholarship name for the applicable term, entering “mobility” in your search criteria (see scholarship details by clicking on the suggested links). It is important to apply by the applicable deadline.

List of forms


Resource persons

Registrar’s Office: MSc program administration – 514 340-6000, ext. 2955

Option heads: See the website of the teaching department

Career Management Service: Manon St-Michel, 514 340-6162,

Student Services (work permits): Caitlin Dawson, 514 340-6166,

International Office – Europe: , Chloé Moorgat, + 33 (0) 1 42 33 43 40,

back to top

Logo HEC Montréal

Facebook YouTube Flickr Twitter LinkedIn Instagram
© HEC Montréal, 2018  All rights reserved.