Le contenu

The beginnings of a proud history (1907-1969)

Toward internationalization and recognition… (2000- …)
Explosive growth (1970-1999)
The beginnings of a proud history (1907-1969)
 

1968

The licence ès sciences commerciales is replaced by the Master’s in Business Administration (MBA). With its distinctive approach, the HEC Montréal MBA is recognized by 3 accreditations and has 8 000 MBA alumni.

1968

The baccalauréat ès sciences commerciales is replaced by the Bachelor's in Business Administration (BBA). Currently taught in three languages (French, English and Spanish), the BBA offers fifteen different specializations to students.

1960

The all-new IBM 1620, an "electronic brain" to be used as a tool for teaching operational research, is acquired. A first in the Canadian university community.

1959

The Office now known as the Career Management Service (CMS) is founded. It is available to all HEC Montréal alumni, for free, all life long.

1958

An executive education centre is created for business executives wishing to update their skills and knowledge. Today it is just called Executive Education.

1956

The School's Commercial and Industrial Museum closes, replaced by the library.

1944

A student co-op is created, at the initiative of some fifteen students. It will later be renamed the Coop HEC Montréal.

1943

The first woman, Alma Lepage, enrols in the licence ès sciences commerciales program. She held a Bachelor of Arts degree and was an entrepreneur in her own right. In 1946 she becomes the School's first woman graduate.

1932

An agreement is signed with Harvard University on the use of an innovative teaching tool, the case method. A first in Canada.

1924

Correspondence courses are introduced, and are offered for 25 years.

1920

The Association des licenciés is launched, the forerunner of Réseau HEC Montréal.

1910

Courses begin in the School's first building, at the corner of Viger and Saint-Hubert streets. Today the building houses the Centre d'archives de Montréal.

1907

On March 14, 1907, the Act incorporating the École des hautes études commerciales (HEC) of Montreal receives Royal assent. The School is the first university-level business school in Canada and one of the first in North America.

1907

Belgian academic Auguste-Joseph de Bray is appointed to head the new School. He has been followed by nine other directors.


About > Our Story > The beginnings of a proud history (1907-1969)